Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Poetic Disappointment: A Lesson Learned



Because I thought it would help my writing, I began an online poetry course a few weeks ago at a supposedly reputable education site. The advertising omitted to note the base level of instruction for the class. It felt as if high school children were the intended target audience. Even more baffling: this course and organization get promoted through colleges that subscribe to its services. 

After two weeks, I decided this course constituted a detriment to my creativity, innovation, and writing. The so-called instructor didn’t even know what her assignments instructed. Her poems sucked. Her feedback was inane and not well thought out. I picked up a book by Rebecca McClanahan: Word Painting. Reading about one-half the book provided more insight into imagery, writing, and characterization than the course offered.

I recommend to anyone truly interested in creative writing to avoid this online poetry scam, and purchase McClanahan’s book. You’ll be glad you did.
 

No comments: